8.3.06

CO-INCIDENCE: Think About What It Means

i was shopping at a clothing store the other week, and began chatting with the clerk at the register while making my purchase. she had a name tag on that said Di. i said, "i have an aunt di." she looked at me with a sympathetic head-tilt and said, "oh, i'm sorry to hear that". she thought i was telling her that i had had an aunt...DIE. i corrected the misinterpretation, and then said, "i did have an aunt die - my aunty karen, my mom's sister - but i also have an aunt named di, short for diana." she said her name was diana also.

then i looked down at the register, and noticed it had a little piece of paper taped to it with a list of names written on it; presumably a roster of the store's employees. the first name on the list was GEN; the second one was JENNIE. a few names later, there were both harmony and megan (two of my best friends since early childhood).

i told the clerk, diana, what i had noticed, and explained to her that my mom had also passed away, along with her sister, karen. di told me that her mother died a few years ago. cause of death: liver disease, caused by a 35-year bout with hepatitis C...

"coincidence"? or a greater connection, between us and the other side; between all of us and everything...

No comments: