16.1.06

mom's voice on the wings

mom was ALL OVER the films they showed on my flights back to hawaii a couple of weeks ago...i wrote all of this down in my notebook so i wouldn't forget it and i could tell you about it...

movie #1: Just Like HEAVEN (the name of my favorite song by the cure, and of course, referencing heaven)...
main female character's name: ELIZABETH (Lizzy for short!)

the guy from napoleon dynamite played a psychic medium who could communicate with spirits...

plot: reece witherspoon's character (elizabeth) is in a coma after an accident - she is caught between life and death, but is not ready to cross over. she stays "living" in her apartment, which mark ruffalo's character has moved into since its tenant had supposedly died. he falls in love with her SPIRIT.

the whole theme of the movie: FATE, SYNCHRONICITY, and LOVE

MOVIE #2: "In Her Shoes"
main character's name: ROSE (my middle name)
her sister, played by cameron diaz, is maggie...their mother, whose name was CAROLine (part of mom's middle name), died of some illness.

their grandmother, on their mom's side, is played by SHIRLEY MACLAINE (mom's all-time favorite actress).
their family is JEWISH, and the grandmother character lives in FLORIDA. she has twos sisters, (the girls' great aunts), named JACKIE and ANITA!!!

ROSE is sick of her corporate job, so she quits it and starts her own DOG-WALKING business. she puts her cards in a GROOMER'S shop! she takes her dogs running up the steps of the capital building...this is what i used to do with GUINNESS!!!

in the meantime, maggie has moved to FLORIDA (to live with grandma), and starts her own BUSINESS RUNNING ERRANDS and SHOPPING for the retired jewish folks in florida (which is a GOOD business, by the way...aimeeeee)!!!!!

in one scene, the two sisters are reminiscing about a childhood memory they shared with each other and with their mom...they recalled their mom letting each of them pick out one special gift...one of them wanted a NANCY DREW book; the other one wanted a PUPPY.

shirley maclaine's character's name is ELLa (three of the letters in the name jewELL).

THIS was the second movie i had seen that week (the other one being "rumor has it", which i had seen in the theater with jenny), in which SHIRLEY MACLAINE played the GRANDMOTHER of SISTERS whose MOTHER had died!!

finally...this poem was of great significance in the movie. one sister recited it to the other at her wedding. it is called "I carry your heart", by E.E. cummings. i can clearly hear MOM reciting this to us, every minute of every day...it goes like this:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)i am never without it(anywhere i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done by only me is your doing,my darling) i fear not fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true) and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

1 comment:

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi,

I watch that John Rotter show Rules On Dating My Teenage Daughter, the episode were he died. It's a rerun of course, but I cry everytime I see it, because I too lost my dad.

When my dad died I was in the hospital bathroom, and I felt him go. And a cunk of my heart tore out painlessly, and went to heaven with him.

Janice~